Did you realize that celebrity charities make a significant contribution to social good and nonprofits?
Yes, we live in a reality that celebrates celebrities, from A-list movie actors to YouTube stars who create their followings with fun, innovative and engaging videos and social media presences. While people, like the Kardashian sisters, cultivate their brand appeal by sharing their lives with their adoring fans, you have other celebrities who decide to take their social stature and leverage it into making a social impact.
In the coming weeks, we’ll be exploring one of the most fun fundraising ideas you can consider, which is to attract celebrities so you can leverage their massive followings, but for this week, we’re going to see the impact that some stars are having in the world. You’ll be impressed by some of the things they’re doing and may even find an opportunity to ask them for their support by seeing if your cause aligns with their giving priorities.
- Beyoncé: Beyoncé is the queen of music and millions of people follow her every move, but she’s also one of the top celebrities making a difference in the world. Her Beygood Foundation does many things to make an impact, including supporting voting rights, education, and disaster relief. Beyoncé understands the power of celebrity and ability to motivate her followers to help a cause.
- Angelina Jolie: Jolie is a world-class movie star, director and philanthropist. She has also served as Special Envoy to the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees. Her philanthropy is accomplished through the Jolie-Pitt Foundation, which supports programs related to education, health, sustainable development, and conservation.
- Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith: This fantastic family, which includes their talented children, have established the Will & Jada Smith Family Foundation. Their focus is inclusion and disrupting the status quo by inspiring and supporting the works and talents of the next generation of storytellers through mentorship and other programs.
- Trevor Noah: As many people know who follow Trevor Noah and his brand of comedy, he was born in South Africa, and he has not forgotten his homeland. He established the Trevor Noah Foundation. The foundation supports initiatives and programs in South Africa helping to advance generations to move forward beyond the earlier one. The foundation’s focus is on improving the lives of the 3.7 million orphans and vulnerable children and youth in South Africa.
- LeBron James: One of the best, if not the best, professional basketball player ever to work on the court is LeBron James. He’s someone who is keenly aware that he can make a social impact and as an activist and philanthropist through The LeBron James Family Foundation, he makes a positive social impact. His focus is on education and has provided free tuition, GEDs for parents and even free food.
The reality is that many other celebrities are making a difference in the world through their philanthropic giving, and also by motivating their fans to support causes close to their heart. Other stars doing social good include people such as Oprah Winfrey, Leonardo DiCaprio, Ellen DeGeneres, John Legend, Rhianna, Hugh Jackman, Ariana Grande, Amy Schumer, Colin Kaepernick, George and Amal Clooney, Harry Styles, Chance The Rapper, and Nicki Minaj, and so many more.
If you’re a nonprofit leader or are searching for a school fundraising idea, since many celebrities support education, something to consider is to see how you can leverage the support of a personality who can help you take your work viral and open it up to millions of other people.
Next week, we’re going to drill down on this a bit more by looking at Omaze and Look to the Stars, now that we’ve tackled celebrity charities, which are both excellent resources if you’re looking for more fundraising ideas or want to figure out how to improve a fundraising event.
© 2019 Funds2Orgs. All Rights Reserved.